GEIT-ING FIT TOGETHER
by Priyanka S
Peter Van Geit needs no introduction. The founder of Chennai Trekking Club (CTC), this Belgian, made ‘Namma’ Chennai his home for almost two decades. Falling in love with this metro as well as the country’s iridescent beauty, he stayed back and encouraged everyone to experience the great outdoors and reconnect with nature.
This Frankly Speakin’ Friday (in the month of July) our guest speaker was this adventurer and a good samaritan, who did a presentation on physical exercise, the great outdoors and volunteering spirit, titled ‘Activate Yourself, Connect with Nature & Serve through Volunteering’.
He began his hour-long lecture with a statement that made all of us take a step back and review our lives - “Modern day society puts us under constant work pressure, unhealthy food habits and inactive stagnant lifestyles that disconnect us from nature! Competitiveness and selfishness are everywhere. It’s high time to activate ourselves, reconnect with nature and engage in some volunteering service.”
And how do we do that?
- Activate your body through sports or any physical activity.
- Refresh your mind by connecting with nature.
- Enrich your soul through service.
Thus, interconnecting the body, mind and spirit!
Phase l - Activate Yourself
Geit’s question stumped us - “Why spend hours together in a gym when nature has so much to offer?”
- Get fit by going on treks. Also, you can enjoy the lush greenery along the trails.
- Jump into the deep blue waters and swim. It is a great technique to work out all your muscles and enjoy marine life.
- Keep running! Pick your own path and run as long as possible, while enjoying the beauty around you. You can participate in marathons too!
- Roll onto the great outdoors on a cycle. It is a fun way to explore the great outdoors.
- Try for Triathlon! A combination of running, swimming and cycling to stay fit and keep your stamina and endurance level in check.
Geit’s mantra: Limits exists only in the mind.
Phase ll - Connect with Nature
Truly believing that ‘life starts at the end of your comfort zone’, Geit encouraged all of us to experience nature and reconnect with what we have lost over time.
- Get out and camp under the night skies. Enjoy the beauty of the celestial objects.
- Walk, run or cycle into a trail. Find your favourite spot and camp there.
- Go into the wild and share the wilderness with animals.
- Get away from the city and experience nature that has been untouched by mankind.
- Grow saplings across the city and be one with nature.
Geit’s mantra: If it’s something you love, you’ll make the time for it.
Phase lll - Service through Volunteering
Volunteering is the most rewarding and fulfilling experience of all. Get together with like-minded individuals help your community.
- Volunteer for nature by participating in clean-up programmes such as city and coastal.
- Engage in community-based activities such as educating the less privileged, teaching arts and crafts and much more.
- Sensitize the communities on arts, education, cleanliness and health.
- Nothing is more fulfilling than teaching the youth. Take time off and give back to the community.
- Donate blood to save lives.
Geit’s mantra: The more you give, the more you get in return.
At the end of the session, we were all geared up to get down and dirty with nature and enjoy its inspirational beauty!